Why does prekindergarten matter?
Prekindergarten makes a big difference
for small children.
Kids who go to prekindergarten:
- Are more prepared for kindergarten
- Have better reading and writing skills
- Do better in grades K – 12
- Have better social skills, behavior and conduct
- Have greater success in life
Is your child eligible?
A child is eligible for enrollment in free prekindergarten if he or she is at least four years of age and:
- Unable to speak or comprehend the English language
- Educationally disadvantaged (eligible to participate in the national free or reduced-price lunch program)
- The child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or the reserves
- The child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or the reserves, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty
- Is or ever has been in foster care
- Be the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as: a peace officer under Section 3106.002, Government Code; a firefighter under Section 3106.003, Government Code; or an emergency medical first responder under Section 3106.004, Government Code