Why does prekindergarten matter?
Prekindergarten makes a big difference
for small children.
Kids who go to prekindergarten:
- Are more prepared for kindergarten
- Have better reading and writing skills
- Do better in grades K – 12
- Have better social skills, behavior and conduct
- Have greater success in life
Is your child eligible?
A child is eligible for enrollment in free prekindergarten if he or she is at least four years of age and:
- is unable to speak and comprehend the English language; or
- is educationally disadvantaged (which means a student eligible to participate in the
national free or reduced-price lunch program... guidelines can be found here); or
- is homeless, as defined by 42 U.S.C. Section 1143a, regardless of the residence of the child, of either parent of the child, or of the child's guardian or other person having lawful control of the child; or
- is the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority; or
- is the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty; or
- is or ever has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services (foster care) following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family Code; or
- is the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as: a peace officer under Section 3106.002, Government Code; a firefighter under Section 3106.003, Government Code; or an emergency medical first responder under Section 3106.004, Government Code.
Students who will be 3 or 4 by September 1 of the school year they are applying
To start the intake process online
(a hospital copy will work)
Social Security Card
Proof of Income
Current check stubs
(Head Start requires Income tax return or 12 months of income)
(If you receive SSI, TANF or Snap benefits
please bring that documentation also)